Student Travel Grants
MILCOM offers student travel grants to help defray travel costs. Awards are competitive, and the award amount is based on the geographic location of the applicant, with a maximum award of $1,500 USD. Individuals can only receive one travel award and only one person per paper can receive an award.
To be eligible, the applicant must meet all four criteria below:
- Be a full-time graduate student.
- Be an author or co-author of an accepted MILCOM 2017 paper.
- Register for MILCOM 2017 at a full conference rate.
- Present the accepted paper at MILCOM 2017.
- Local Travel (within 100 miles driving distance): $300
- Domestic travel (non-West Coast origin): $850
- Domestic Travel (West Coast): $1000
- International: $1500
How to Apply:
Eligible students may apply for the award through EDAS. Once the application has been submitted, the student's academic advisor will be asked to enter a letter into EDAS to certify the student's full-time status.
The following actions must take place for MILCOM to consider the grant application:
- Applicants must submit a grant application by September 1, 2017. Requests for a travel grant are submitted via EDAS. EDAS is the online tool that MILCOM utilizes to support the conference. If the student does not have an account it is straightforward to obtain one on the EDAS site. Once a student has an account and is logged in, the “Travel Grant” menu can be found on the home page.
- Once the application has been submitted, the student's academic advisor will be asked to enter a letter into EDAS to certify the student's full-time status. Advisor submissions must be completed by September 8, 2017.
How will award recipients be notified?
Award recipients will be notified by email (sent via EDAS) by September 15, 2017. Approximately three weeks prior to the conference, award recipients will receive an email from the MILCOM Finance Chair containing instructions for receiving the grant including all necessary forms.
What is required to receive my grant?
At the conference, the student should have the Presentation Acknowledgement form signed by their Session Chair to verify that the student presented the paper. In order to receive your travel grant award, we require you to submit complete documentation either via email to the MILCOM Finance Chair or onsite at the conference to the MILCOM Operations Center (Room 307).
Both items specified below are required:
- A completed and signed W-9 (if you are a U.S. resident) or W-8BEN (for all others).
- A completed Student Presentation Acknowledgement form signed by your Session Chair. We strongly suggest you obtain the signature immediately following the conclusion of your paper presentation session.
How will I receive payment?
Award payments checks (issued from a U.S. bank) will be mailed to awardees after the conference. Electronic wire transfers are available in lieu of checks upon request. Check and/or wire transfers will be processed within 45 days after the MILCOM conference.
If you prefer, payment via wire can be arranged upon request. Wire transfers will be reduced by $35 USD to cover MILCOM’s bank processing fees. In order to process a wire transfer, you will need to provide the following information:
- Bank Name
- Bank Address
- ABA Routing Number
- SWIFT Number (international transfers)
- Bank Account Holder’s Name (must be exactly as it appears on the bank account)
- Bank Account Holder’s Address
- Bank Account Number